The Ballysax Stakes is run at Leopardstown Racecourse in April each year. It is a Group Three event run over a distance of 1 mile 2 furlongs and often provides an opportunity for many Group class middle distance hopefuls for the coming season to make their seasonal debuts.
2013 Ballysax Stakes Result
2012 Ballysax Stakes Result
- Light Heavy - K Manning - J Bolger - 3/1
- Call To Battle - J Murtagh - J Oxx - 2/1
- Tower Rock - S Heffernen - A O'Brien - 20/1
Ballysax Stakes Derby Form 2013
The Ballysax Stakes has provided a very useful form guide to Derby runners in recent years, throwing up three winners since the year 2000. Sinndar (2000), Galileo (2001) and High Chaparral (2002) all made their seasonal debuts in the race before going on to win the Epsom Derby. The latter two named won the race whilst Sinndar finished second.
The race this year threw up an interesting form guide towards the Derby with Banimpire winning the race ahead of Recital who was going for Aiden O'Brien. Recital could still be one to watch at the Derby and is being well backed in the Derby Odds despite this average run first time out.
2011 Ballysax Stakes Result
- 1st - Banimpire - K Manning - 14/1
- 2nd - Regent Street - C O'Donoghue - 25/1
- 3rd - Recital - R Moore - 8/13f
- 7 Ran
2010 Ballysax Stakes Result
- 1st - Puncher Clynch - K Manning - 12/1
- 2nd - At First Sight - J Heffernan - 10/1
- 3rd - Mikhail Glinka - J Murtagh - 11/10f
- 8 Ran